Saturday, October 11, 2008

technology and alienation

While researching for my paper, I read an article about technology and alienation and what kind of effects technology has on mankind. It will be a good reference for my paper as I am writing about how personal communication devices such as cell phones and e mail separate us from our immediate surroundings.
audience: the audience for this article was clearly an academic one. The people would most likely be experts in the field and are probably reading with knowledge already.
argument: it seemed that it was saying that technology does alienate man, but there were some parts that were kind of vague. He was addressing counter arguments, I suppose, but the author sometimes made it seem that he was arguing for those instead. Not always clear.
The author appealed mostly by using logos, as most of his references were past researchers who have done studies in this field before. It was effective for his academic audience because they are likely to respond to this most.
effectiveness: I thought that this paper, on the whole, would have been effective. However, I think his lack of clearness on certain things, mostly the way he dealt with counter arguments, would be confusing to the reader.

No comments: